Pine Crest Middle and Upper School students, faculty and parent chaperones represented Pine Crest at the 2014 Student Television Network (STN) Convention from March 20 to 23 in Orlando.
More than 2,500 student and teachers from school broadcasting, film, and media programs across the country participated in the event. STN offered more than 80 workshops led by industry professionals on a variety of topics. Student teams were invited to enter one of more than two dozen individual contests for small teams that covered reporting, creative, and technical skills. For one popular contest, Sweet 16, teams were given a prompt at the start and a strict 16-hour deadline to produce a video entry.
Freshman, Jodie Kahan, opened the Convention with a beautiful arrangement of “The Star-Spangled Banner.”
Pine Crest awards included:
- Upper School – First Place Anchor Team
- Upper School – Honorable Mention Social Media App
- Upper School – Broadcast Excellence Award (This is the highest STN Honor for monthly programming. Only one school receives this award each year.)
- Upper School – Best Sound Design
- Upper School – Best Live Event (PCTV’s Sports Broadcasting team received $5,000 for their coverage of the SFC
- Championship football game at FAU in the fall.)
- Middle School – Honorable Mention Movie Trailer
“Pine Crest students did an incredible job of communicating and working together, thinking on their feet, meeting deadlines, showcasing their creativity, and representing our school,” said Mr. Dave Burgess. “They truly proved their mastery of the most important traits for success in any endeavor: critical thinking, independent thinking, creative thinking, problem solving, cooperation, compromise, communication skills, collaboration, media literacy, engagement with technology, synthesizing of information, presentation skills, and storytelling.”